Address, illuminated, framed and glazed, address presented to Eamon de Valera by members of Ennis Cumann na mBan, c. 1917 to 1921
Address, illuminated, framed and glazed. Address presented to Eamon de Valera by members of Ennis Cumann na mBan possibly in 1917, or perhaps 1921. Address is set behind a grey mount and is roughly dome rectangular in shape with a domed top. The text of the address is contained within an ornate frame of celtic type interlace with animal heads into which are set 5 images, these are contained at the bottom two corners, at the middle of the border on either side and the last one is set at the pinancle of the dome. The top image is a photograph of Eamon de Valera in Volunteer’s uniform, beneath, the image on the centre right is the O’Connell Monument in Ennis, the image on the centre left is the Cathedral, Ennis. The image at the bottom right is of Boland’s Mills, Dublin and on the left are the GPO, Dublin. The address begins in large ornate letters “Dileagra/d’Eadhmonn de Bhaileara/Taoiseach ar Oglachaibh na hEireann/o Chumann na mBan, Ennis”. Is is undated but mentions de Valera’s escape from British dungeons, which suggests a date of 1917 or 1921, both times he visited Ennis after escape of a kind from jail. The address is signed by members of Ennis Cumann na mBan, Uachtaran Mary J Roughan, Ettie McNamara and Mary Barrett, Runaithe, and Delia Begley, Cisteoir. The artwork is signed Seathan Maicshall (John Mescall). The address was framed by Arigho & Sons Ltd, 16, 17, 18 Christchurch Place, Dublin.