Button, silver, ornate letters WCR (West Clare Railway)
Button, uniform, silver coloured with brass back, West Clare Railway uniform. Front – silver, ornate script letters – WCR – in relief. Back – Brass section enclosed into silver front, perforation in centre, possibly originally two, now broken into one, 2 dotted circular lines around perforation contain name of maker – Comyns & Son – Dublin.
West Clare Railway opened in 1887 – was taken over by Great Southern Railways in about 1925 (possible late date) and by CIE in around 1945.
This button was found in a house in the Lifford area of Ennis in the 1950s. It comes from a West Clare Railway uniform.