J O' Brien, Victualler, Scariff, County Clare, 23rd February, 1944.
Postcard. Obverse: addressed to Mr J R Tinsly, William Street, Limerick, one half penny stamp, post mark ‘Scaribh, Co An Chláir’; reverse: ‘Please forward/per canal ususual/amt of salt/James O’Brien.
John Richard Tinsly established his firm in Limerick in 1840 to bring salt from Britain to Ireland. In the days before electricity, salt was used to preserve meat, mostly bacon and salted herrings.
Tinsly’s celebrated 175 years in business in 2015 and today supplies salt mainly for water treatment purposes as it removes calcium, magnesium and limes scale.
John Richard Tinsly was mayor of Limerick in 1865.
Category: Communication Equipment