Small blue soft plastic back pack, with Luimneach-Gaillimh, 'Connecting the West', NDP, transport21 and Iarnród Eireann logos.
Small blue soft plastic back pack, with Luimneach-Gaillimh, ‘Connecting the West’, NDP, transport21 and Iarnród Eireann logos,from opening of Sixmilebridge Railway Station, 29th March 2010. Drawstrings for closing the top of the bag also allow for the bag to be put on your back.
A railway station first opened in Sixmilebridge on 17 January 1859, and it closed on 17 June 1963. It was located between Ballycar and Cratloe stations. The station reopened on 29 March 2010 as part of the rebuild of the Western Rail Corridor.
The Western Railway Corridor is a term, used since c. 2003, for a partly disused railway line running through the west of Ireland. Currently two sections of the line, from Limerick via Ennis to Athenry and from Collooney to Sligo, see regular services, with other sections either closed or only technically classed as open.
This light back pack was part of the promotional merchandise that was available at the opening on the day. It was collected by the donor.
Collection: Michael McNamara